The General-Directorate for Intervention on Addictive Behaviours and Dependencies, has the mission to promote the reduction of consumption of psychoactive substances, prevent addictive behaviours and decrease dependencies.
SICAD is the central body of the Ministry of Health integrated in the direct administration of the State, wich supports the Govemment member responsible for the health area, in the elaboration of the national strategy for reducing the use of psychoactive substances, prevention of addictive behaviours and reduction of dependencies and their evaluation, SICAD has the following assighments:
- Planning and technical and normative monitoring of Prevention, Risk and Harm Reduction, Social Reintegration and Treatment Program.
- Planning and intervention through a network of primary care, centres of integrated responses, inpatient facilities and hospitals.
- Develop, promote and encourage scientific research.
- Maintenance of an information systeam on the phenomenon of addictive behaviours and dependencies
- Develop effective mechanisms for planning and coordinating the definition of policies to be implemented
- Perform diagnosis of the needs for interventions at national level, define priorities and the type of intervention to develop.
- Define the technical and normative guidelines for the intervention in addictive behaviours and dependencies
Information on SICAD is available in Portuguese and English